Vitrium™ is the world’s leading glass-fused-to-steel process for bolted storage tanks and has been field proven for more than 60 years.
The proprietary Vitrium™ technology exceeds all other internal coatings.
This technology combines the outstanding chemical and physical resistant properties of titanium enhanced glass with a highly engineered, ultra-fine glass bubble structure. The coating is impermeable to liquids and vapours, controls undercutting caused by corrosion and offers excellent abrasion resistance.
Vitrium™ is a proprietary titanium Dioxide (TiO2) glassing process applied in a 3-coat, 1-fire (3c1f) process procedure. Vitrium™ is also produced in a 3-coat, 2-fire (3c2f) process primarily when special colors are requested or thicker layers of glass are required.
The CST proprietary Vitrium™ glass-fused-to-steel process provides:
- Longer tank life
- Base coat of glass frit containing nickel oxide ensures consistent quality
- Maximum coating effectiveness without requiring excess coating thickness in order to provide the needed durability at competitive pricing
- Unique process technologies and 1100v dry testing provide factory certified 100% holiday free sheets.
The combination of glass quality and glass thickness provide the assurance that over 60 years of experience and 100,000+structures successfully installed around the world will continue with each and every new structure installed.
Titanium Dioxide (TiO2)
Titanium Dioxide In 1998 CST Storage launched an R&D project to develop a process for the direct application of our proprietary Titanium Dioxide (TiO2) Glass. The result is a totally new, patented “three-coatone-fire” (3c1f) process for applying TiO2 Glass.
TiO2 is a very common ingredient used by many coating manufacturers for various reasons:
- It is considered inert and at high level in porcelain enamel, gives unique properties.
- In the case of the interior coating, Vitrium™, with its higher percentage of TiO2 in the final white layer, allows Engineered Storage Products to provide an exceptional enamel surface.
- During firing, the white layer’s higher viscosity has the effect of controlling bubble structure in addition to making the top TiO2 rich layer harder, more chemical resistant and the bubble structure finer. This high TiO2 content is unique to Aquastore and provides exceptional properties to fit colder conditions common to the North American market.
As a result of using higher amounts of TiO2 in the final white layer, a unique visual marker on the glass known as “Vitrium™ threading” becomes apparent. This is caused by thicker areas of the top white layer interspersed with thinner areas allowing the underlying bluecoat to show through opaquely. This immediately identifies the coating as Vitrium™.
Glass-fused-to-steel is the premium technology in the tank market. The factory-applied silica glass coating on Aquastore, Harvestore and Slurrystore tanks forms a hard, inert barrier for both the interior and exterior tank surfaces to guard against weather and corrosion. Glass-fused-to-steel is impermeable to liquids and vapors, controls undercutting caused by corrosion and offers excellent impact and abrasion resistance. The color won’t fade or chalk and most graffiti can easily be removed. It never needs painting.
A multi-step process is the heart of the glass-fused-to-steel technology system. Fabricated sheets are grit blasted to a uniform, near white surface Proprietary formulations of borosilicate, minerals, water and clays are blended into a sprayable slurry called “slip” After inspection, the slurry is fused to the steel sheets at temperatures above 1,500° F to produce the distinctive glossy Aquastore finish The molten glass reacts with the profiled steel surface to form an inert, inorganic chemical and mechanical bond
Vitrium™ Glass Finish
New process technology has resulted in the development of CST’s newest glass innovation – Vitrium™. This coating combines the outstanding chemical and physical resistant properties of Titanium Dioxide (TiO2) saturated glass with a highly engineered ultra-fine glass structure surface to create a high performance glass-fused-to-steel technology. Vitrium™ features and benefits include:
Tough TiO2 glass formulations provide longer life Electrostatic base coat application ensures consistent quality Maximum coating effectiveness without requiring increased coating thickness Unique process technologies provide factory certified “holiday-free” sheets. Process efficiencies lead to competitive pricing Ideal for both cold and hot climates.